Thursday, September 26, 2013

Jy130921statusReport

09/21/13 GMT 07:46:57 PM: -
it is past midnight over here – there is some bit of confusion about the time; about that later.
I was dozing off till after midnight and got up an hour or so back and had my rice gruel and pulses – poocha madam came in and had the same stuff as I had; she must have been starving for otherwise she would not have eaten the stuff - the trick is to put some oil.
After that I switched on the modem of the adsl connection that I am supposed to be having. Interestingly now a days the adsl light is not playing that hide and seek game – it has been steadily glowing ever since it came on the first time – I am keeping a watch on it to see if the hide and seek factor has come back; NOT yet.
And it is the same system, the same modem, the same telephone line and the same exchange and the same isp – then how come the problem with the adsl has disappeared for so long ?
What exactly is it ? Is there a change of guard ?
Most unlikely; it could just be a change of tactics.
All is not well and here is why :-
I am using a template for my blogs and it has a date and time stamp that the system inserts. I opened the template and interestingly the time stamp was one hour ahead of the actual time in GMT - my puter as well as my wall clock has the time in GMT and that is by way of becoming a universal citizen for a beginning.
The time on my clock was 07.30 pm gmt while what was inserted by the system on the template was 08.30 pm gmt!
Could be that the template had the time in the document is manually entered. So I tried deleting it and the whole time got deleted en block, typical of a system inserted time.
I tried re-inserting again and it again came up with the time 8.31 pm.
So I opened date and time adjustment facility of my puter; there the time was exactly one hour behind past seven thirty, the same as the one on my clock.
I usually do not check the option for the daylight saving time. All the same I checked up and reassured myself.
So I tried ticking the option and the time on my system turned to past 08.30pm same as the one shown on the document template.
Then I took off the check and this time it came as past seven thirty pm. So that was the problem.
Now I tried inserting the time again on the document template and it inserted the time past 7.30 !
Any idea how come the system was inserting a time an hour ahead of the time on the system that I am using ?
Becauge, the system that is in control of the document, that is the pimp's system has opted for the daylight saving time option.
So all is not well.
Does it matter ? Well, it does.
But there are positive aspects to it – I can convey my messages to the hiding opposite party in whichever language I please; punjabi/hindi/tamil/malayalam and even angrezi - and all that they can do about is sweet eff all.
Also I am going to make as much hay as possible while it lasts; for the first time since I got the bsnl bullock cart of nedumangad installed here I was able to down load a few 12 mb files this month. That is a real something – some four podcasts from the bbc.
incidentally I tried copying it on to a cd this evening the basic idea is that once on the cd I can play it on my vcd player which does not have a usb slot and listen to it as I do my cooking without switching on the computer and all that happened was I got another of my blank cds damaged.
None of the cd writing softwares work on my puter and so I had been using the windows cd writer facility of the win XP and till recently it was working. I am afraid that has also been compromised since, as per technical advice received from the “white” spies.